Follow by Email:

Sunday, 21 July 2013

"Local Breads" - Czech crescent rolls (Rohlik)

Well these are apparently the Czech equivalent of a NY bagel in popularity.  They are a light, yeasted roll that were a little too easy to keep stuffing into your mouth!

I decided to par-bake these and give them to friends to finishing baking fresh for a breakfast or with dinner whenever it suited them (can be frozen until needed).

DOUGH:
300g warm water, 15g instant yeast, 500g bread flour, 50g soft unsalted butter, 15g sugar, 10g salt

Note:- I don't have unsalted butter in the house so used 50g salted butter, and only one heaped tsp of salt (would usually add 2).

All of the above mixed together in a bowl (I always add the water first, sprinkle over the yeast "granules", let them get wet and then add everything else on top) until it turned into a rough dough.  I left it to sit at RT for about 1/2hr to autolyse.  I then kneaded it for a couple of minutes (on an oiled bench with oiled hands) and rested it for about 15mins.  Gave it another knead for a few minutes then let it ferment in covered bowl for about 1.25hrs.

Dough mixed and kneaded, ready to ferment

Recipe said to ferment for 1-1.5hrs or until doubled in volume - mine got about 1.25hrs fermenting time.

Fermented and ready to shape

SHAPING:
This was sort of akin to making croissants - but without all the layer upon layer of rolling in butter!  Just the rolling out, cutting into triangles and rolling up!  So, roll the dough out into a big rectangle on a lightly floured bench top - about 8x24 inches (didn't bother converting to cm sorry, just got out my tape measure and used the inches side).  Don't use too much flour, but use enough so the dough doesn't stick to the rolling pin or bench.  Cut the dough in half lengthways, then into 4 inch squares (mine ended up more like rectangles), then each square into a triangle.

Rolled and cut ready to be made into crescents

Stretch each triangle out slightly so the wide edge is about 6 inches long (or roll it  a bit with the rolling pin) then roll the stretched side towards the point, while at the same time gently stretching out the pointed end.  I almost needed another hand to do it all,  Some worked out better than others, and I figured they'd taste the same no matter how they looked!  Once rolled, ensure the point is tucked under, curve the ends inwards to make a crescent shape and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.  I needed two trays to fit all the rolls.

Brush the rolls with a little water and sprinkle over poppy seeds or sesame seeds mixed with a little sea salt.  Cover the trays with a plastic bag and let proof for about 45mins until expanded and pillowy.

BAKE:
I rearranged my oven racks so I could fit both trays in at one time, heated the oven to 180°C and then baked the rolls for about 10mins only (with steam).  I didn't completely cook them all as gave them away par-baked to friends.  They had started to colour, and the outside was slightly firm at the end of the 10mins.  I did however let a few cook for about 10mins longer until slightly golden. 

Par-baked rolls with a couple of fully baked ones on top

 



Even though I'm not a big fan of yeasted breads, these rolls were so light and small and easy to slice open, stuff in a smaller slather of butter and pop into your mouth!  I probably ate more of them than I ought, but they were so warm and smelling lovely and freshly baked I couldn't help myself!

If you made a sourdough version of these I'm not convinced they'd be great, but maybe I'll give them a go one day.  Despite being yeasted these were cute and tasty enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment